Saturday 21 February 2015

Spring update


snowdropsIt’s been a while since I last blogged on my site so here’s the latest updates: my chemo was doing well and had shrunk my tumours considerably but back in October, I was rushed to hospital, unable to breathe and in a lot of pain. Turns out the chemo had caused some damage to my lung and resulted in me staying in hospital for a week, with blood transfusions and CT scan. I know I was extremely ill and it wasn’t a good time for me or our family.  I was informed that if I hadn’t have gone to A & E, I would probably have died …. that’s the second time last year.  Not good. However, back up to Royal Marsden for a follow-up re. the scan results and it was decided together that I wouldn’t start chemo again for a couple of months, to allow my poor old lung to recuperate!

So, I’ve been on a break from chemo since October and how great has that been! Tastebuds and appetite back to normal, fatigue all but gone  (although I still get very tired each day) and best of all, my hair has grown back, presenting me with my new look, that of a Judy Dench look-alike!!!  Being off the chemo does have its drawbacks, however, as I’m constantly aware in the back of my mind that things could be progressing in a way I don’t want.
January 3rd, however, saw me back in A & E, delivered by ambulance this time, with severe pain in my liver area.  It was a repeat of the pain I had last summer and believe me, I think I'd rather have labour pains - at least you get something at the end of those! Bloody unbearable pain which literally took my breath away and was pretty scary.  The ambulance crew gave me Entonox (see, the parallel with labour again!) which helped and then onto the lovely morphine, which, once it kicked in, did the job.

Bloods showed that I could be suffering from an aneurysm or a kidney stone, so it was off to the CT scanner again! Both ruled out but follow-up at RM recommended, which we did and scan showed slight growth in the liver tumour but our consultant stated that nothing drastic would happen in the space of a couple of months before March so have to go along with that way of thinking.  Chemo still off the cards until March at least, so I’m  kind of living in a bubble at the moment, just waiting to see how things pan out.
photo (5)
But there has been some good news (apart from my hair!) On January 28th, Leah and Si presented us with our third gorgeous grandson, FREDDIE OWEN MUSTOE, at 12.04 am weighing in at 8 lb exactly.

Also, my nails, which had suffered so badly from the chemo, have also had chance to recuperate and are looking a whole heap better (although they are still slightly ridged and break sooo easily!) I’m still applying the Trind Kerotin, although not every day but it seems to have worked so I’ll stick at it.
photo (2)


No comments:

Post a Comment